Friday, December 30, 2005

Therapeutic Week


Not very long ago I swore off retail therapy of any kind, so that means no shopping for clothes, books and music, even though the last two evolve into another source of therapy - I'm sticking to that, irrespective of the fact that I bought a new patch-work leather bag to replace my rather well-worn and over-used Kashmiri leather sling pouch that I carried around everywhere from class (as a student and now as a teacher), to casual rendezvous to more formal occassions. That was more necessity than therapy so, I'm not taking into account its therapeutic values even though I'm uber pleased with my purchase!

So this week I'm indulging in different forms of therapy - Number One being Sleep. It's not like I've been sleep-deprived (I have been getting an average of 6 hours per night, which isn't the preferred 8 hours but it's sufficient to keep me from turning into a zombie after a few days). Sleep is important - I've never been able to stay up late studying/working. Back in school and college days my mind would shut down at 8 p.m and I couldn't study any more after that. That did change during M.A when I was juggling it with French and was basically out of the house from 9 a.m to 9 p.m. My brief encounter with insomnia came at a time when my inner reserves where at an all-time low - those who knew me back then, generally describe me as walking around in a dream-like state with this touch-me-not aura to myself! Anyways getting back to the topic, insomnia is one thing I don't have to worry about in Pune, for I usually fall asleep within a few minutes of shutting my eyes. Pune, if for nothing else, is definitely good for curing insomnia ;-) The last couple of days I've pretty much competed as much as I can with Sleeping Beauty. Early to bed and late to rise, long afternoon siestas. Restful, dreamless sleep. Rejuvenating.

Books have always provided the much-needed refuge and have been my closest companions ever since I was 2 years old and I learnt the ABC sitting on Papa's shoulders as he read the morning paper or peered over Bhaiyya's shoulder as he read an Archies comic. Despite being a student of English Literature I was never conscious of my choices, reading whatever came my way and pleased my mind and my senses. I'm even guilty of enjoying the much reviled Mills and Boons. I guess I won't be able to display any literary snobbery for some time, having admitted to this sin - but hey I aint reading those for their literary value. I completely aknowledge thier complete lack of literary value, but I also give them credit for providing me many an hour of mindless amusement when all I wanted as a book in my hand and not really have to use my brain. Same applies to the few other works I've read in the popular genre. The last few years has seen me conscious of what I'm reading as I grew increasingly appalled at how little I've read and how ignorant I am... I've been merrily reading several ridiculous romances simultaneously with a collection of Eugene Ionesco's plays and I have to admit I'm enjoying both of them equally!

Music. I say it's my porn - and many people have come up with incredibly interesting interpretations to that statement. ;-)The last few days it's been a true companion as I've dug into my Collection of CDs and pulled out ignored albums for a heart-warming session, or simply tuned into World Space and grooved to the latest hits. Gwen Stephanie, Peter White, Kayne West, Chet Atkins, Paul McCartney, Fool's Garden, Creed, Prem Joshua, TLC, Beyonce, Ottmar Liebert, Sean Paul, Bon Jovi, Vanessa Mae, Tears for Fears, GNR.... it's an instant lightening of spirits as I begin to hum under my breath, swing my hips and tap my feet to the beats.
{Playing right now - Maria Joao featuring Cal Viva and Ermenio De Melo)


Art. Well not exactly the hi-brow kind; just the stain-glass painting I indulge in once in a while. There's something immensely pleasurable about spreading newspaper and my painting gear all over the dining-table, tracing designs onto the glass and then swiftly filling in the outlines with that translucent paint. I had borrowed an Old Monk bottle from Titu Dada (he was using it as a make-shift vase for some rather ugly plastic flowers), saying I'll paint it and if it turns out good I'll gift it back to him. Magnanimous soul ain't I? Anyway for the longest time it just lay rather desolately below my writing-desk. This morning I finally picked it up and sat down to transform it into a glowing vision in warm orange and yellow. Perfect for the season. It's come out awfully nice, even if I say so myself. What say people? If you like what you see, and have a nice bottle lying around under the kitchen sink/bed or behind the curtains or even hidden below piles of lingerie in your cupboard, send it over. I'll be all to happy to transform the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan ;-)

I've oft been compared to Monica Geller of F.R.I.E.N.D.S - reason being my fetish for organisation and cleanliness. So, for the past two days re-arranged all the stuff in my room...shifted the computer out of the room, moved furniture around, dusted the shelves, re-did my cupboards, not to mention my book shelves! Dusty work - am sneezing like a mad hatter today - but also satisfying.

Gardening. My mother finds it very relaxing, so I thought I'd lend a hand. But after getting my finger-nails all dirty and my hands scratched by the thorns in the flowering plants, I decided this is one form of therapy I can do without ;-)

SO - all said and done, I guess there are other forms of therapy that work much better than retail therapy - and they work just as well, if not better! :-)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always hoped that my thoughts are this clear. Not only can you think well, your narration is so swift. I liked the other site too, of which you are a member of... Caferati. Actually I got this page starting from there. Your description of Pune was nice. I can particularly relate to it because I have had the experience first hand too.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...do you realize how lucky you are to be able to fall asleep the moment you shut your eyes? (Two/Three minutes don't count)

I'll willingly give you tons of bottles..BUT no flowers please. Painting flowers on a bottle of Old Monk..eewwww

You should get yourself a little laptop. It'll integrate all your desires..books, music, art blah into one happy medium. (Not to mention that the cost of a Sony VAIO will cure you of all retail therapy you might have dreamt of)

Homo Sapien is dead. Long live the Homo Digital :)
--
Sagar
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Anonymous said...

Monica-n. :p Bad one, but have been compared to her myself! The worse part is, i keep my things in such order, that finding them at the right moment is chaos...
Yes, this year, have promised to move towards therapies of the sublime and spiritual.
And re-friend my faithful companions who i had so callously abandoned - books!
So Hoppe Noo 'Ear!

madusa

bluegreenflysplat said...

Come soon, happy New Year, blah di dah.

Sleep's overrated!!! do other stuff!!!!ok I'm way too happy this new year. hee hee hee

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - Welcome and Thanks. I actually don't contribute to Caferati anymore, so I don't think it would be fair to them if I ever associated as one of them...but then again...;-)

Sagar - Oh yes, sleep is precious. I so value it and thank lord that I don't lose too much of it!
Hey flowers are nice...though if you want, I do abstract designs as well :-P SO when are you sending the bottle?

Madusa - Gutes neues jahr!

BGFS - Nonono you bacchas of today don't realise the importance of sleep and routine! ;-) Happy new year to you too my dear!

- Geetanjali

Anonymous said...

Danke! Forgot to mention that the bottle has been beautifully done.

Birthday's round the corner btw, so might send one bottle to ya!
*koff koff*
:D

madusa

Casablanca said...

Have a great year... and I'm sure you will!

And that lamp is owned by you? I envy you!!

And Monica Geller? Et tu? Hey, whats wrong with being organised. Cheers to that :p

Zette Remi said...

Happy New Year! That lamp and bottle are gorgeous!

Pincushion said...

I love the way you give a slice of your life away..I can almost picture you, tho' I don't know what u look like, lol!
..and that bottle and lamp are simply beautiful!
Have a wonderful New Year!
and yes..i had my share of M&B's too ;)
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica, you're not only famous for your cleanliness but also for your cooking. The bottle looks lovely, will you post the receipe?

Happy New Year!

G Shrivastava said...

Madusa - Hehe I remember your bday (it helps that Bday reminders alos remembers it;-)) Send the bottle ma chere...thee shalt have it back as a bday gift. Cost-effective gifting, learn it frm me ;-) JK!

Casablanca - That lamp gets extreme reactions. They either love it or hote it (for being so kitschy)...I ofcourse love it!

... - Same to you my dear!

Pincushion - Hope I'm just giving away a slice not the entire pie ;-) Same to you!

Liese c Khanna - Now how do you know abt my cooking? Out with it girl which one of my friends are you? ;-) Happy New Year to thee also!

Parth said...

Was away for a while in therapy :-) Sorry, that was mean. Have a great year ahead.

Anonymous said...

Eh. Of course i know that you remember my birthday. :)

Ionescu/o and Bills and Moons?
How......absurd!
:D

madusa

G Shrivastava said...

Parth - Same to you :-)

Madusa - Ah c'est la vie ma chere, abusrd!

Lotus - Actually that therapetuic week was before new year's eve...the new year started with alot of frenzied activity and more soul-healing (which helped big-time!)
What makes you think I'm touring Bombay?

Anonymous said...

Excuse my tumbled.-up expression. I didn't comment on your, Geets', cooking receipes but meant to ask for a step-by-step instruction on how to paint on glas. What color did you use?

I'm sure you're a wonderful cook. Like Monica.