Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Dhyan se, yeh tan to hai sirf bhojan kaowon ke liye

A nice weekend with a visit from a literary snob who talks more than me and brought along pretty glass bangles and two books on loan - lots and lots of talking all over town...browsing through Manney's on Moledina Road and itching to buy my nephew so many books - I stayed away from the Literature section lest more temptation struck! Plenty to accomplish on Sunday, my only free day in the week - it flew past way too quick! A busy week, observing more hours a day, getting more and more ideas about how to conduct class, waiting and hoping to be given a regular class in the next session....The fact that I've been busy has kept me away from the computer and the internet - well that, and the fact that a wierd apathy has crept into my bones as far as this one activity is concerned. I type emails and posts on Papa's laptop and never get around to emailing them. Logging in seems like a mammoth effort at the end of the day when all I want to do is hit the sack, before my sleep vanishes and I spend another sleepless night walking through the rooms staring at photgraphs, trying to keep memories at bay lest they bring along with them tears.

Went for Lal Ded, performed by Mita Vasisht at the Shantaram Pond, FTII with everyone including little Shaurya. The setting was sublime - one can't possibly go wrong with the impact with a backdrop as that of Shantaram pond. It's an absolute delight to the senses. The performance left me wanting - il y avait une manque quelque part. I went expecting to hear Lal Ded's poems or maybe about her philosophy - what I got was a presentation of her life as the mystic saint who has most influenced the people of Kashmir. I have the French translation of her verses. I think I'll dig it out of the carton of books and pore over them in detail now - one verse from the performance stuck in my mind:

"Dhyan se, yeh tan to hai sirf bhojan kaowon ke liye"
(Careful, this body is but food for the crows.)


Touched by the gestures of some friends, exasperated at others who I don't know whether to ignore or shake in frustration, itching to step into yet another friend's life and set everything right - my life seems to revolve around my friends. What would I do without them?

Many many thanks to all of you - I don't know how to lean on anybody and I reach out to very few in times of distress, but your presence whether by way of comments on my blog, emails, SMS, phone calls, snail mail or physically visiting me...all meant to so much to me. Merci beaucoup mes ami(e)s! :-)

7 comments:

Kitana's Haven said...

je t'en prie ma cherie!!!
chui tjr la pour toi...
:-)

Wild Reeds said...

Dear Geebaby.
Thanks for sharing, and keep the faith.
Warmly
WR

Extempore said...

My dear Geets,

Am I never to have another identity than a literay snob? And God knows, my reading in the recent past is not fit for snobbery!

Am glad you had a nice weekend, my dear. There is something so wonderfully rejuvenating about a good weekend - it makes for a bearable week ahead. :-)

Casablanca said...

What would we do without them friends? I could go on with a life that revolves around them forever and ever...

sanchapanzo said...

Mita Vashisht's personality is really dynamic.. kind of reminds me of Neena Gupta in terms of appearance and personality..

livinghigh said...

a very strange line. makes me shudder.

G Shrivastava said...

Kitana - J'ai compris ce que t'as dit, sans avoir besoin de le relire! Yay! :-) Je t'embrasse ma chere!

WR - Your comment reminded me of one of my fav songs = Keep the faith, by Bon Jovi

Extempore - But what, my dear is wrong in being a literary snob?

Aristera - Darling, there's only one way you can go to Manney's - come to Pune! :-)

Casablanca - Ah oui, totally!

Sanchapanzo - I always found her a little wierd, but am coming across lots of ppl with unfavourable opinion of her. You're the first to say anything remotely positive abt her!

LH - Strange line, yes. But also very true. Don't you think so? (Just think in terms of Parsis for a moment, and it gains literal truth as well!)