Bombay Samachar, established in 1822 by Fardoonjee Marzban, was the first vernacular newspaper to be set up in Bombay. (Even Wikipedia gives it a short mention.) Incidentally the first printing press was brought into Bombay in the 1670s by a Parsi businessman and Bombay's first English newspaper started nearly a hundred years later was also the result of a Parsi stalwart.
The headquarter of Bombay Samachar, located in Fort (around the corner from Indian Mercantile Chambers, not far from Strand Bookstall or Bombay Stores) is housed in a red building that's over a century old and boasts strong wooden beams that don't show any sign of decay despite their rather advanced age. I spent some hours in their Circulation Department on a wild goose hunt for an ancient Public Notice - and was amazed at how the office was organised.
The last time I entered a newspaper office, it was to walk out an hour later a little surprised at how uncluttered it looked and how none of the staff, with a rather high "I'm cool" quotient, was over 40. But that was the editorial department of a newspaper that's going through some drastic changes in order to boost its rather sagging sales. Bombay Samachar is nothing like that. It resembles by all means and purposes a typical old, bureaucratic Indian office.
The building may have had a classic fully-loaded Cadillac parked outside, but the entry is definitely not carpeted. Rather I felt like I was entering a warehouse of sorts. Up I went round a winding creaking staircase (the ones I am terrified of slipping through!) into a dingy, musty corridor. As I peaked into the first room, a peon surfaced from his morning nap to ask me where I wanted to go. "Purane newspapers kahan milenge," I asked. He pointed towards another room and I walked into a high-ceilinged musty room cluttered with files, and atleast six people, none of which were doing anything productive. I asked to be given access to their archives and was told to address the last man sitting in the line, one who was browsing through a film magazine. He pointed me back towards the first person I'd addressed, who then told me to sit down and yelled out to Ramji. When Ramji finally appeared 5 minutes later, I was asked which months and year I wanted to start with and Ramji was asked to bring out the concerned file.
I was there with my father, and since they could spare only 1 chair for us (despite the fact that 3 chairs at unoccupied throughout the time I was in that office and 2 others were unoccupied for most of the time) I stood while we searched through the newspapers of autumn-winter 1987. It was interesting for me to be flipping through the newspapers even though most of the content was in Gujurati, which I do not know! The adverts back then were so unsophisticated as compared to what we have today - ofcourse even back then women were used to pedal everything from women's clothing to jewellery, from holidays in Kerala to estate agents in downtown Bombay! Most of the models either had huge hairdos a la Madhuri Dixit as a newcomer, or these wierd beehives stuck at peculiar angles on their heads, or towels wrapped around their heads! And the reigning model seemed to be Sangeeta Bijlani - remember her? The Sunday newspaper had much more English content, with several pages dedicated to the achievements of Parsis and a double spread of comic strips - in colour!
Four months worth newspapers later, I had dusty blackened fingertips and a terrible back-ache; it was lunch time so the female clerk waiting for the others to return finally took pity on me and told me to rest my backside on a stool. When her 'boss' returned, she had to pay for her grave mistake. The man, as far as I could make out has nothing to do but read magazines and harass her...if he wasn't making flirtatious remarks that she tried her best to ignore, he was chastising her for not being efficient enough. How I itched to slap him...and ensure his unemployment for the rest of his life.
Luckily my father decided to abandon the search after we'd gone through 2 more months and said he'd find another way of achieving the desired end. After waiting 10 minutes for the designated clerk to return, we quickly paid him Rs.54 for accessing 3 files and made our way out into the sunlight and open air...as I took in deep gulps of the 'fresh' air, an employee of the newspaper walked out. He nodded at me, turned around and pointed at the building proudly - and informed me proudly that I was standing outside the office of the oldest existing Indian newspaper. He went onto to lecture me on the importance of preserving such old buildings and ensuring that old newspapers like this one don't disappear because of lack of funds, readership or efficient management and then just before we parted ways at the end of the street...he told me that I should go in to see the office and browse through the archives. :-)
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Brilliant post, I once had a similar experience when I visited the National Archives, located at Elphinstone college.
Did you notice that early papers had they're classified section on the first page - ships to England, business ads etc - and news on the inner pages ?
And Now The Times of India tells us they're a modern paper.
Quite Right Akshay. The trend of having classified section on the first page continued till the late 1950's. Infact "The Hindu", published from Madras, carried the news of the Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, on Pages 2/3 due to this (A two bit trivia !!)
Nice post, Gee. The room containing the old issue of a Newspaper( also called "Morgue" ) hardly receives any attention. BTW, i think the TOI, Mumbai probably has digitalized its archives. You can have a Dekkho out there..
Terrific post. Really enjoyed reading it. You are taking your readers places they wouldn't be going otherwise in their wildest dreams
hey, that's a superb post. thanks for sharing the experience.
Nice post. And a great blogsite...
You write really well and now your site is one of my bookmarks... :)
thanks for taking us through the innards of the great old patriarch....was quite a ride. :)
the parting advice by the proud gent asking u to visit the archives was like a cherry dipped in vinegar. :)
my cousin used to work in Madison DBMB in fort.... I once went to her office there and was totally reminded of that as I was reading your post on rickety hallways...
Its a bombay of a different era..
nice to read such things..
vasu
Oh must tell you then, went to visit the archives of the times!!! They have that little machine that you must read out of, and i absolutely loved being there, even though my eyes burned and my neck ached, and they charged a load of money just to look!!!
Btw, I'm hoping you've recovered from the pennilessness...
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Something new everyday.
:-)
Akshay - Thanks:-) it was my first visit to any kind of archive and it was definitely interesting!
Amit, Parth, WD, Gulnaz, Vasu & August - Thanks; was actually thinking ppl wouldn't finish reading this post, but I see they were unfounded fears!
Phal - Hey, I was never really 'penniless' just stuck in a tight position...but Aparna fixed that and I got back quite ok :-)
Post a Comment