A year and half back when I moved from Bombay to Pune and went from using the sexy B.E.S.T buses to the run-down P.M.T buses I experienced what can only be termed as a culture shock. Accustomed to a travelling with people from all classes of the society in Bombay, I soon realised that 90% of the crowd in the P.M.T buses was from the lower class - which meant I now had to start thinking about what I was wearing when I stepped into a bus. I've hardly worn my shorter skirts since I've moved to Pune and every time I wear my wrap-arounds or the skirts with slits down one side, I get 'the looks' which I've learnt to ignore. That wasn't what really bothered me - what bothered me was the completely in-your-face blatant refusals by young able-bodied men to vacate their seats (reserved for women/handicapped/elderly) for an elderly man/woman. One instance I clearly remember is when I asked this guy to vacate the seat for this 'aaji' who must be around 70 - not only did the guy belligerently refuse to do so, when I started protesting vociferously, this aaji actually asked me not to bother unless I wanted to sit there! I was quite appalled and since I couldn't see myself sitting while she was standing, I let that guy continue to stay seated...and he stayed seated the entire way sending me a disgustingly sly smile of victory every few minutes. Over the year and a half that I've been here, I've witnessed many such scenes.
These days there's a new trend in the P.M.T buses, atleast those running from Keshavnagar. To start with, the newer buses have the entire left-hand side row of seats reserved for women. Around a month back, I got into a crowded bus and resigned myself to a long journey on my feet...only to suddenly find this woman nudging the guy sitting next to her, demanding he vacate the seat for me. When he tried to resist, all the women in that row all but pounced on him. Poor guy had no option but to vacate the seat for me....over the last few weeks the women have grown very fierce in their insistence on seeing the 'striyaansathi' rule applied. It's funny at times when the bus is nearly empty and there's this neat demarcation with all the women on the left and the men on the right - the conductor looks rather lost in no-man's land! Funnier yet - seeing them descend on the poor hapless man who's made the colossal mistake of occupying a seat on the left, specially when the women have also occupied quite a few seats on the right as well...the men are actually afraid of occupying those seats because they are sure a woman will soon descend on him screaming at him to get up!
It's almost as if they are venting the frustration of being forced into a submissive role at home, by bossing the men around in the bus! Sometimes I actually feel sorry for some of the men as they look on bewildered while the newly emancipated women commuters proceed to paint him a villain for sitting on the wrong side...most times though I'm busy chortling with unholy glee! :-)
P.S This was to be another movie review, but since some people are turning green with jealousy and others are feeling out of sort with my apparent spouting of cinematic intelligence, I decided to post about this first. Coming up - review of Little Vilma, the Last Diary.
Friday, January 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
NARI SHAKTI ZINDA BAAD!!!!!!!!!
what appie said...
have been trying to call ya since day before... i'm coming to pune, for a while this time. meet up?
Aparna - Oh yeah totally nari shakti zindabad :-D
BGFS - Oh yeah my phone's been more or less off since like Wednesday...me reading your email as I type...check your email for reply!
Liese - Darling I didn't need the blue soup as a hint to know who you are...the day you confirmed that you're German I knew it was my fav German - who else would come up with these delightfully witty, sarcastic, intelligent and wonderfully insightful comments? Been telling Ma and Kunu Baba that I suspect it's you...*warm hug*
I resisted King Kong when nephew was visiting and took him for Chicken Little instead - he said that my younger nephew would have enjoyed it more ;-)
Young Buddha - ahem interesting set of rules you've laid out there...the people from the Osho commune aren't those who use the P.M.T buses. Most of the Pune crowd have their own two-wheelers - as I said it's those who can't afford to buy their own two-wheeler (or those who refuse to learn driving, like me) who commute by bus. The rest of the junta has their own vehicle or resort to commuting by rickshaws.
I once vacated a seat for an elderly man on a ST bus but he refused to take the seat. He was proud and looked dented that I suggested that he sit.
He responded by growling at me "Just because I'm 70 it doesn't mean you can make me sit down."
That's a proud Maratha for you, he stood there for the next hour or so on this bumpy highway to Aurangabad.
Ever since that day I have been slow to take a seat on any form of public transport - I rather stand, it's not my age to sit down.
~
Just to remind all u gr8 nari's
The same thing happened with a young girl(20's) not leaving the seat for a old man (80s) holding stick , who could barely stand properly in a crowded bus... I asked this girl to allow seat .. since he was standing in front of her and she refused says"Sorry this is ladies seat" What kind of manner is this ?
I asked myself had not she learnt anything in school...
Felt like giving a tight slap :) somehow controlled my anger and moved the old man to a nearer seat and the guy immediately let the seat for the old man....
Its not about guys and girls .... Its about attitude of a person...
Post a Comment