4th March 2006, we'd returned home after a leisurely dinner at my Chacha's place, when we received that fatal call that changed everything. My father, away on a holiday with my mother in Kumarakum, Kerala, had suffered a heart attack....minutes later a second call confirmed our worst fears. In the days that have since passed, I've struggled to make myself believe that he won't be ringing the bell and come sauntering in with his laptop delighted with his latest accomplishment at Phoenix Mecano India. For as long as I can remember, my father's name has been synonymous with his work, his dedication to it, his honesty, uprightness and truthfulness - whether it was at M.D.S (today a part of LeGrand), or when he was a management consultant or in the last decade at P.M.I. He worked for the pleasure of working, never for the money...to the point that he's put in many hours, days, months of effort into building up people's companies and ended up not getting any remuneration at all. But that's Papa...and he totally kicks ass!
Yes he does. I wanted to say this during the Shanti Path when the priest asked if anyone wanted to say anything about him, but I was too choked at that the time. I want to rail against whoever is sitting up there, pulling our strings, for this was the wrong string pulled. It's unfair. Papa had planned so much, he had so much more to achieve. People talk of him as someone they can never forget, a man of exemplary vision, an able man of few words who believed more in decisive action to solve the problem instead of talking about it. All his dreams, his visions were so close to realisation. He had so much more to do, so much more to teach me, teach his grandson, teach all of us.
That it happened on his first vacation in donkey's years, that it happened when my parents were so far away from any family/friend, far even from medical assistance makes me go blind with rage at the injustice of it all. I still can't believe it, even though I was with him till the last minute at the crematorium. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night disoriented, my mind filled with a jumble of images. Papa smiling, frowning in concentration as he typed away on his laptop, glaring angrily at me when I refused to back down from an argument which was threatening to explode in my face, stroking my head before I went to sleep while I continued to browse blogs/chat/email, tired at the end of a long day at work, cold in the coffin...
It all seems so unreal...I wonder how things continue as if nothing has changed, I want to go stop everything, but life continues. And so must I, for my mother and for my father if not for anything else. I can't disappoint them - I have to fulfill my dreams and fulfill Papa's dreams for me. He always egged me to do more; it was me who was lazy, content with what I already had...I have to make him proud enough to sit up there and nod his head as he says that his daughter kicks ass....and my father would say that. Yes he would, because he did too!
Below is my favourite photograph of my parents together - taken several years ago when we were still in Bombay. It's how I'll always remember Papa - smiling, happy, proud of his family and confident in his accomplishments.
16 comments:
OhmyGod!
I know nothing I say can fill up the loss and vacuum that you are feeling right now. I won't use any trite words and say its alright, coz i understand it ISN't..i won't even say i understand, for who could possibly feel your agony the way you do?!...
my father too suffered a heartattack last year, when I was here in London, and my bro on his honeymoon just after the wedding..nobody near them..but God was kind and he survived..
I cannot even begin to comprehend the pain you must be feeling, but I think I have an idea..hold on..hang in there..
I shall pray that things become better for you and your family..
*Huggs*
heartfelt condolences - have heard so much abt ur dad from K - u take care and and am sure u will in life kick ass ...
Please accept my deepest condolences on your loss. Life has a way of pulling the rug under your feet in the most unexpected of manners. Stay strong.
Gosh Geetanjali! I am so so sorry. I can only imagine what you are going through right now. Always remember him smiling and be strong for him. My sincere condolences...
sorry to hear about your dad.take care of yourself and your family.
Dear BabyG,
I cannot find the words...I didn't know him and I don't know you all that well either...
But this I know...the people we really love, never really leave us. You will find more of him in you than you imagined. Be well, and take care of yourself and yr mom.
Love and a hug,
P.
Hey Gee,
You've always come across as a very strong person. I pray that you become a pillar of support for your family (esp. your Ma) in these difficult times.
Your strength will enable you overcome your grief and face the hightened responsibilities that'll follow. I'm positive your Pa was proud to have such a daughter..and confident that you'll never disappoint him!
Take care,
Sagar
Kick Ass ..Bet you WILL.. Gee turn all your emotions & sense of loss into postive energy thereby doing your Papa, your family and all of us proud.
God looked around his Garden and found an empty place.
He then looked down upon the earth and saw your loving face.
He put his arms around you and lifted you to rest.
For his Garden must be beautiful, he always takes the best...
Hoping that your warm memories of him and love of people whose lives he touched will be a source of comfort to you and your family in days ahead..
Deepest condolences... please take care. I wish our parents didnt work so hard and be under so much stress these days. Worries me.
Dear Geetanjali,
I know you through your words, which I think is a translation of your beautiful soul. I understand what you must be going through as I have recently lost my father. However, my Abba’s absence is present as a feeling of emptiness inside me .
My deepest condolences!
Katha
Email: katha_kabir@yahoo.co.uk
I'm so sorry. Lost my father two years back to cancer. Know that nothing anyone says makes it hurt any less. Take care.
The loss of a parent or the loss of a child is irreplaceable. Nothing can ever fill the void. I lost my dad when I was 21. Today at 25, I need him so much and I wonder. I make-believe life today with him in it. Life in all its fairness is unfair. There are so many moments I want to erase from my memory. Being the oldest child and the only son, I hated the rituals. All of them. I so wanted to scream and there was no noise. My lungs and throat had given up on me. I understand. I know. The pain gets to you. You may think it will remain forever. Memories - both happy and sad make me wince sometimes. I shed a silent tear and then a silent prayer. My mum and I have grown so close. Knock wood. We always were but may be we understand each other better now.
I wanted to tell Daddy so much. About my sexuality. About myself. However, the son-father equation being the way it is, we ended up fighting more than chatting. I love him. I miss him terribly and I know your pain. The unspoken hurt.
Take care of yourself and your family Geets. They need you and you need them.
While i was growing up,I used to pray to God-"Please,Dont let my parents ever die".
I have grown up enough to realise the futility of such a prayer,but I still carry the wish,deep within my heart.
And Geetanjali...parents truly never die...they live on ,within us;their teachings,dreams and aspirations reflected by what we do...in our own lives.
Pl.accept my condolences.
K.
Dear Geetanjali,
Please accept my deepest, heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Papa.
Your love of him and his pride in you come shining through in your post - every word straight from the heart.
Reading your message, I can feel your pain but somewhere inside me I feel a glimmer of happiness at how beautiful a relationship you had with him. And that will stay with you forever and ever and ever.
Hugs
Sachin
reading this post takes me back in time..
can never forget the day when i lost my father.. somehow.. it s been a while.. and suddenly feeling low..as to how i kind of forgotten many memories of him.. if not for this post.. dont think his memory would have hit me now..
it s actually strange.. how i got upset not on the passing away of my father.. but the kind of sorrow that struck my grandma/mother/sister/other relatives...
i think the recovery-path will be slow and tough..hopefully.. you will recover from this asap...
Very sensitively written,this almost brought tears to my eyes.It reminded me of my grandmother who left me about 2 years back,inspite of our best efforts to prolong her presence with us.But then, I have learnt not to cry over her absence,but to cherish her memories.
I am sure you will learn to do so,soon.
Post a Comment