Once a voracious reader I find myself reading rather sporadically now in little fits and bursts of enthusiasm for the written word when I devour any kind of book within reach. Well almost any kind...I'm a very fussy reader at times. Books worth mention, that I've read since the beginning of the year are few...
1. The Giver - Lois Lowry (Thanks Extempore for making me read this)
A delightfully touching children's story that can be best described as child's inititation to the concept best-popularised by Orwell's 1984.
2. Walk Two Moons - Aaron Creche (Once again, thank you Extempore. Had you not loaned these two books to me, I'd still be very ignorant about children's literature beyond the token Enid Blyton, the classics and a few other names.)
One of those heart-warming tales that leave your eyes moist and a smile lingering on your lips - it left me with a delicious heart-ache (is that a paradox?) and incredibly glad for having read it!
3. Monkfish Moon - Romesh Gunsekera
An incredibly beautiful and poetic collection of short-stories, this was pretty much my initiation to the world of Sri Lankan writers. I'm impressed to say the least - the collection, apart from brimming with rich descriptions of the country that brought it startlingly alive in front of my eyes, also displays a keen sensitivity towards emotions, cultures, politics and ofcourse the ever prevalent issue in our times, diaspora. If I can shake myself out of this misreable lethargy I've developed off late vis-a-via Literary Mosaic, I'll post a detailed review soon.
4. Punchtantra - Gautam Bhatia
I'm reading this one right now, so won't say much about it yet...just that it's one of the most enthrallingly witty renderings of the fables that I've come across. Enchanting sarcasm. Delicious humour. Great morals...I'm definitely going to post in detail about this once it's done.
Also on the shelf :-
- The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton (Pardon me, but I'm very slow when it comes to classics)
- Lady Oracle - Margaret Atwood (I've been hooked ever since Maddy Mata gifted me The HandMaid's Tale...this will be my third Atwood)
- The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye - A.S.Byatt
- Corridors - Sarnath Banerjee (India's first graphic novel in the tradition of the Bande-Dessinée and graphic novels such as Marjane Satrapi's award winning Poulet aux Prunes - more on the subject when I've read it)
- Marciano - Casa Rossa
- Collected Works - Oscar Wilde (I won't pretend to have the grand ambition of licking this clean, but I do intend to read his poems and the major works.)
- 10 Plays - Euripedes (To continue my education on Greek tragedy and mythology)
6 comments:
seems to be good mixed collection on the shelf .
also seems to have been preety good reading to begin the year.
i am not that adventurous when it comes to reading.(only the ones that know about by listening to others after they have read it and they tell me what it is about.)
well i will definately look to read
1.the giver
2.Monkfish moon.
thanks for writing about them.
Wow, i would love to read the first two books.
I could never get around to reading 'The Age of Innocence', though believe me, i tried really hard..
Since it was someone's favourite book.
Maddy Mata
Book maniac, I am back. Thanks for the large lists. If I can't smell the roses, I can at least see them :-)
Thanks for the words of encouragement
I remember on a similar post from you, quite some time back, Aristera had commented something on the lines of... itna padhogi, to kaun karega tumse shaadi. I dont know why, but that just came back to me as I was reading this post :)
Aristera - Sweetie, I also told you that I myself am a literary snob...so sorry but I'm gonna continue to call you that! The books are interesting ofcourse...and you knw you can borrow them anytime!
Paddy - Hey long time...I used to be a safe reader like you, but then learnt that recommendations don't always apply to you. Now I enjoy taking risks and buying books just on the basis of the synopsis...sometimes it pays off!
Lotus - No phayda if you only read the reviews..you must go out and buy/borrow the books AND READ THEM!
Maddy Mata - I think you'll love the first two books...infact you should meet Extempore!
Parth -Oh damn goodie..heading over to your soliloquy as soon as I'm done replying to the comments! :-)
Casablanca - Omigawd and I thought you were my well-wisher! Aristera is jealous...what's your reason for saying such things, eh? ;-)
Lotus - Her memory is quite perfect...
Hehe... no, no, I didnt say it. I was just remembering what he said. I didnt mean it myself ;)
Lotus - Yup, I have an elephant's memory, for things that dont matter. Sigh.
Post a Comment