So what else is new? I was in Junior College when they first started airing FRIENDS in India..and while the rest of my sweet sixteen friends scrambled to fit themselves into the image of the swelte and sexy Rachel, I was very happy being Monica. We are alike, Monica and me (except for the childhood history of weight - my battle, unlike her, was against lack of weight. LOL!). My need for things to be in order, neat and tidy is quite famous amongst my friends - I sort, plan, categorise things and simply can't tolerate a messsy environment. When visiting people's homes that are messy, my hands constantly itch to put things in place...it's a mammoth task resisting the urge, even with the fear of offending my hosts! Last week I was cooking peacefully when my folks returned from the supermarket and within minutes my neat haven of spices and freshly chopped veggies had turned into an arena of bags, fruits, groceries et al....and with that transformation went my joy in cooking. Head started paining and I had to abandon my culinary practices till I had the kitchen all neat and tidy again...makes the future rather scary, the thought that I might have to share the cooking (and living) space with someone who's messy and quite devoid of basic sense of cleanliness & any aesthetic sense!
But above all, I truly abhorr the almost inhumane, disgusting habit people have of dumping used utensils and crockery in the wash-basin, without rinsing them properly (some people even leave the left-overs in there - yuck!)...and I refuse to accept it as an obssession for cleanliness. To me, it's displaying a complete lack of hygiene and decency...what appalls me to the limit of fury is when they excuse that abominable mess by saying the maid will come and clean it? Why the hell should she? Would you ask her to clean your crap? (No, don't answer that...) Don't tell me you pay her to wash the dishes...it's unfair to expect her to clean that kind of a mess...food congealed in the plates/bowls/pans stinking after having been left like that for hours, sometimes overnight. *Puke* If that isn't practising feudal rights in the modern age, I don't know what it is! To all those who behave in such a fashion, I never fail to pray that their house gets infested with roaches and other unpleasant insects as a natural result of their sloth.
Freak or not...rinse your utensils before dumping them in the wash-basin people!
Monday, February 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
dear geets my mom will love you after reading this cz she too like is a cleanliness freak. completely agree on rinsing dishes before dumpin them in the sink. also i hate messy fridge.vegetables shud be kept in the vegetable tray which is the last shelf in every fridge and not anywhere in the fridge.
Sorry if I seem insensitive but I burst out laughing after reading the last paragraph! If you ever come to my place don't forget to give me at least a week's advance warning. Otherwise you will be reaching for my throat ;) Strange considering that I like order very much myself.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again... I too have been compared to Monica. Apparently I am a control freak. No, I am a control freak.
And a few years of staying overseas, where there is no easy comfort of your maid, will change these people. When you have to clean your own utensils, you dare not leave them in the sink for a few hours. And now its become such a habit, that even when I go back home, I end up washing my utensils while the maid looks at me bewildered.
hehehe...yup - that IS OCD. Yay! We both share the same disorder :-)
I seriously think I am just a slight push away from OCD...
ok, that's it then.
i am ruled out:-):-)
Let me guess. More men do this than women? :-)
Aparna - Oh yes order in the fridge is a MUST...must meet your mum then ;-)
Anil - Will give you more than a week's warning my dear...though I'm thinking why you need that much time to clean your sink!
Casablanca, ... - I have company! *hug*
Lotus - Why thank you, but trust me I AM a freak ;-)
Aristera - Ofcourse I am...but then did you also know that birds of a feather flock together? ;-) Muhahahaha
WD - Damn and I had such hopes...thats a second heart-break in just a week ;-)
Parth - No no, trust me this isn't bt men v/s women...I know just as many women who are messy, if not more...
Gee...baby...i guess my hubby would so much have loved to fall in love with u ;)...i call him a cleanliness freak! and u dont have to pray for roaches in my kitchen coz i have 'em all..not necessarily for being unclean coz mine's a spotless kitchen but these creatures have a penchant for settling down in clean places too as much as drains :))
YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED!
you can come and clean my left over pasta too...hahaha...and I will pay you well for cleaning my crap tooo...hahahaha...
I really detest people like you...frivolous and trying to project what they are not...
Hi Geetanjali,
First of all SUPER blog!
Among the Friends 6, I most identify with Phoebe and her curious way of looking at things. There's a very academic Ross-like side, a bit of Rachel's romantic flânerie and a streak of Monica's control-freakness. Also a fair bit of Chandler's humour. No Joey as far as I can tell though...
Anonymous - If you detest people like me so much, then you should simply not bother wasting your time reading and commenting on my blog!
Wild Reeds - Hey welcome aboard and thanks! Wow, so you're an amalgamation of most of the FRIENDS characters eh? There is some Phoebe(the mad, silly bit) and Ross (the nerdy, sincere bit) in me in addition to Monica...but none of the others! :-)
Post a Comment