Sometime back, Aristera and I decided that Chamique's blog is one of the more sensitive, honest and intelligent blogs around. No pretensions on this blog - just some great writing on issues that touch the writer. A recent post had me nodding my head vigorously in agreement - oft have I wondered over the same issue myself and been accused of ignoring the good the recnt change in our society and work culture has done to our economy. I can't say it better than she has, so I'll leave it at that. However her post does brings forth this outpouring of sorts from me -
In the past one and a half years, ever since I completed my Masters and moved to Pune, several people have questioned me about my future plans and made many suggestions regarding lucrative jobs. Some have even tried (rather unsuccessfully I may add - I am stubborn bitch after all!) to coerce me into taking up a more ambitious and paying path - to the point of badgering me endlessly about my apparent lack of amibition and how wierd it, since my father continues to work at the age of 65 and whose ambitions know no end. Most of them don't know that my father has never and still doesn't work so much for the renumeration as for the satisfaction of seeing the job completed to a perfection and knowing it was under him that it was accomplished. But that's a different story - we'll talk about that some other time.
Most people wonder why I want to 'settle' for a teaching job, in an era of BPOs where technical writers and language support (translators) earn so well. Why would I want a thankless, frustrating job that doesn't even make me millionaire at retiring age, forget at 30! Don't I atleast want to pursue a Ph.D and make my mark in the academic world? Write a book, churn millions in book deals? It's with great difficulty that I've explained to people that there are some people in the world who simply aren't cut out for the rat race, and can't run after the green paper like it's their very oxygen. I'm not saying that one can exist without money...I know I can't. I am accustomed to a certain standard and know life is very difficult without money (or even less money). Hell I say that retail therapy rocks - but there are other forms of therapy as well.
Why teaching? Because I never want to stop learning and I also want to share the knowledge I have. I do believe I have a certain aptitude for doing this. Why at Alliance Française? Because it gives you the space and freedom to use your imagination and creativity in planning lessons. Because it doesn't follow the rather restrictive, exam-oriented, rote-memorisation method of teaching, normally followed by schools and colleges. Because I have always been interested in European culture, specially French, having spent over 2 years studying the language...and because I hope it will give me the opportunity to go back soon. Not forever though, just a trip. :-)
Then there are those who think my job at Alliance Française guarantees this rather glamarous job with an excellent pay right at the start! (Who cares that I have no experience, am basically a stagiére/intern and am taking only one freaking class a week?) Let's not forget the French hunks (point them out to me please...could do with some eye-soothing exericises right now!) and the super glam and rocking parties where wine flows like water! (Umm, in Pune water flows rather sporadically from taps and the water that flows in the river, well I'd rather not acknowledge it at all!)
The job pays very less, but I didn't expect much more at this stage - and no the parties aren't all that glamorous. Fun yes, and rocking, but no glamour. And guess what? I'm not unhappy about it. I didn't want glamour - I wouldn't be in this profession if I wanted glamour. As for the pay - it will improve. Most of my colleagues are still studying - if I hadn't believed in taking one step at a time, I'd have been past this stage and taking the regular courses by now - and earning more. But then, there is such a thing as waiting to get your dues.
Sure sometimes I feel terrible about still being dependant on my folks when most of my friends are completely independant and thinking of investing in cars/property and making trips across the oceans. It's one of the reasons why I'm holding myself back from indulging in retail therapy and from travelling when I so want to do both. I've promised myself I'll splurge the day I get my first decently big salary - till then I'm reining in those expensive desires.
So current status - moving from merely observing and assisting to taking class by myself from January 2006. Two weeks back we had to prepare this board-game for the kids to learn the modes of transport. My associate asked me to simply photocopy the images and get them enlarged and then colour, cut and paste them. I got so enthusiastic about the affair I sat up half the night, drawing and painting the images! Sometimes I can't believe that ME - the one who always ran away from kids is doing all this! Yes I am having fun!
Still one class a week, so I'm going to set myself to follow some dreams left dangling for way too long. Content with the job scene as it is developing - more than willing to give it time to spout wings and take off :-) And yes, not the least bit rich...
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
hey geets i'll tell you wat my psych prof once told me in class abt rat race that i still remember it till this day"whats the point of gettin in to the rat race cz u still remain a rat even though you have won the race!!!!!!!"there you go
appy's getting inspirational. yay for her! welcome to my world. I remember a post similar to this. what is with getting a new job and getting sappy and emotional about it? not just you, i mean all of us in general...
I loved this post! It touched a chord inside me... cant explain, but in many ways, I've been feeling the same lately. And then people tell me, "you are settling for mediocrity" and it really irritates me. Who are they to judge? If it makes me happy, it aint mediocre.
Rich, this post is!
There are plenty of people out there like the one Casa talkes about. I see them as nothing but insecure fools ho cant see the light.
I once read something very inspirational which has become a way of life for me now. it goes something like this -
"Dreams are like litle saplings always in need of care and nourishment. You cant hope to have a tree one day by just watering the sapling a little water each day. You have to nurture it like your own baby and give it everything you have. Make sure you use the right manure, there is plenty of room for it to grow and sunlight when it needs most. You keep the weeds out and make sure the demons dont devour on them."
I say 'You go girl!' (as corny & girly as that may sound). Sometimes we need to take that leap of faith - blindly! Not knowing whether we'll land on another floating log of wood or sink in the abysmal depths of darkness. But unless you jump you'll never find out!
A chord touched indeed!
hmmm... so i c aristera is flirting with saurabh. lol
onto more nicer things.... ;-) i think it's great doing what makes u happy. so don't worry too much abt wat the Learned People have to say, as long as ure comfortable with ure life. end of story.
Introspective. :)
Well, let's all do what pleases us and gives us satisfaction. For some money works, and for some a shy thank you from a grateful student.
I've taught as well and have absolutely loved it. The pleasure is immense. (Not the money, I agree!)
Great..Hope you stay the same without ever having to make a pact with the Green Devil. Reminds me of the post, I read about Steve Jobs Graduation speech to Standford University Grads :
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html
(NB: If you have already read it, plz ignore the above link)
yay patience
yay contentness
yay HUMILITY
experience is also something. And an argument good enough for those bugging one with ones supposed lack of career initiative
but lets go out and witness to the world our values
where preaching money is the rule and ones adherence to its cult is presupposed if one DOESN'T witness HUMILITY
One step at a time, yes!
If money aint the priority, does Alliance Francaise have a transfer system, and can you come teach in Hyderabad? :)
I know um talking out of context. Its just that what you wrote reminded me of AF here where I went for the beginner course. It was instant love wid the language and the way it twirled my toungue. And my mouth watered for the French cuisine, the heart pounded for all that art and culture. In the end, I flunked in my exams.
Life took over and by the time I wanted to go back, the only good tutor we had there left to France. Abhor learning it wrong from anybody else. Hence the question. I dont mind sitting along with the kids....lol!
Sorry again for the punctuation.
Aparan - Well I have no intention of ever becoming a rat, so there you go ;-)
BGFS - Duuno if I'm getting senti and sappy abt the job. just glad its finally happnd, coz I've waited a very long time for it, stubbornly ignoring other opportuninites and shutting other doors. If this hadn't worked out it would have meant starting from scratch, not to mention eating humble pie which I do not like!
Casablanca - True, very true
Saurabh - Oh yeah I've read that quote somewhere...been doing that I guess. Tending to my plants carefully, so I'm glad the saplings are finally pushing their way towards the sunlight :-)
Aristera - I'll just talk to you in person
CloseTalk - LOL I hope Aristera wasn't really flirting with Saurabh, coz I believe the man is quite definitely booked by a specimen of the female species ;-)
Blue Athena - The eventual pay isn't so bad that I'd have to consider a career change and sacrifice job satisfaction, so I'm willing to wait for an improvement.
Amit - Stay away you green devil...the doors aint open for you ;-)
Ennike Chalsa - :-)
Anonymous - LOL no you can't convince me to shift to Hbad...Bbay maybe, but never Hbad! So if you still wanna learn French, head to Pune and enroll for the kids course ;-)
you're right...
Chamiques blog is indeed very nice.
Post a Comment